Friday, December 17, 2010

My Only Sunshine.



Adelle's personality is growing by the day and I'm really enjoying spending time with her. We've been running a lot of errands lately (thank you, Christmas shopping) and I'm starting to realize what Julie means when she refers to Anabelle as her "little buddy." Instead of being part of the obstacle course, a sweet bundle to lug around or a challenge to steer away from shelves and tags, she's company. She makes observations of her own, chatters about what she's thinking or, cutest of all, sings about what's around her. Sure sometimes she yells, or even cries but mostly she makes everyone around her smile. Despite the gray Seattle weather I have a little sun spot.

She knows our local craft store by the parking lot and as soon as we pull in she asks about a balloon. They have free helium balloons for kids. Once I get it on her wrist she laughs so hysterically, and loudly, that people stop their shopping to watch her. Of course the craft store crowd is mostly benevolent grandmas so they're all delighted. But it makes me take a minute to appreciate her happiness and the fleeting nature of this kind public exuberance being acceptable. If I wandered around the store laughing half as loudly about the yarn I'm getting I doubt anyone would be charmed.


I'm so grateful for the person she is and for the lessons this time is teaching me.

and that she likes me to paint her nails bright pink.

I'm also keenly aware that soon there will be another person here. (People... we are talking 94 days. whoa.) I'm trying to soak up the last few months of being a mother of one.

Couldn't even smile with teeth for this picture. And Adelle? So excited she looks high.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE this post. Adelle seems like such a charmer. I love her smile it does indeed look like liquid sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Of course the craft store crowd is mostly benevolent grandmas" - HAHAHA!!! You crack me up! Oh Mary you are just so funny and beautiful and i love you and your family and I'm so happy you are getting a little sun from your sweet little one!

    ReplyDelete