Friday, October 8, 2010

I can't fly, Mama.

So a little while ago Adelle turned two and I don't really have many pictures of it. Having a two year old around the house is so different than even an 18 month old. I'm so surprised at how life can change in just six months. I'm most amazed at Adelle's ability to adapt to the drastic changes in her own body. They're supposed to be "The Terrible Two's" but so far that has not been the experience. I certainly have heard enough of the phrase, "No! I don't want!" but I've also heard such things as "I love you, too, Mama" for the first time. Here are some of the latest pictures:


Here's Adelle's new haircut

Yes what a difference six months makes. And will make, since in six months she will no longer be the sole Tyrant in this Rudd Dominion. She has lots of time to get used to the changes. And hopefully that amazing ability to adapt will continue to sustain her, and us all.

Is this picture the cutest one?

I've had trouble getting out of the house lately since adding to this family means something very specific for me physically. Adelle has been as patient and kind as a two-year-old can be with my limited ability to run around with her. And of course, Jordan has stepped in to fill in the many gaps. What I would do without my mother-in-law, Sharon, I don't know since she has saved Adelle from several dreary afternoons stuck in the house. And given me the gift of much needed rest and solitude. Is this what they mean when they say "it takes a village...?"

So in an effort to re-join the living I went on a little outing with Jordan and Adelle last week. We were just throwing a ball around the little concrete court in our complex when Adelle saw a plane overhead. She reached for the sky with all her tiny might and jumped as high as she could. She flapped her arms and jumped again. She looked at me with a little sadness and said, "I can't fly, Mama."

This is the first time she was willing to touch a pumpkin. Afterward she said, "Ew."

Oh! She is not a baby anymore. I don't remember the first time I realized I was incapable of flight. But I know that the many times I told my mother I was incapable or felt like I was never going to be able to do something it seemed like everyone was doing she just told me to be patient and wait. There's a constant revelation that comes with being a mom that feels like being on the other side of a looking glass. I can see myself in my child - doing or saying what she does - and I can see my mother in the responses I give her and the perspective and wisdom my mother earned with her experience. And probably got, somewhat, from her sweet mother.

And really, who knows what we'll both be capable of in six months?

Or is this the cutest picture??

3 comments:

  1. I think the last picture is the cutest, but they are all SO cute! oh that little girl! I just want to see you guys right now. And Mary I love the way you write. It makes me want more! You are my amazing beautiful sister and i love you mucho, mucho! thanks for letting me know you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful, all. Love it, love it. Love you. Love your family - that subtle Jordan and cutest Adelle... I've read your post 5 times now and watched the last video so much. You steal my heart. ~Ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE all that hair she has. Can she pass of if over to Azure? You're doing great Mary. I need to call and talk. Love you.

    ReplyDelete